Later History of the Church — since 1930.
The next major changes to the church occurred after the second world war.
1947 – 1990.
In 1947 four new stained glass windows by Geoffrey Fuller Webb (1879-1954), with his spider–web “signature”, initials and the date in the bottom of the right window, were put into the chancel, commemorating the death in action in 1940 of Ronald Wilfrid Willett. In 1950 the Victorian altar and reredos were replaced by the present altar and the wooden panelling behind it, and new altar rails were put in, and in 1958 a vestry was added to the north side of church, making up with size for what it lacked in beauty.
The last additions to the church building in the twentieth century were two stained glass windows in the side aisle, the work of Rosalind Ilse Grimshaw in 2002. Placed there as a memorial to members of the Bartlett family they depict Julian of Norwich and Josephine Butler in the main body of the windows and the Bartlett sisters in the bottom corners.
Bartlett Family Windows.
The Bartlett sisters in the family window.
In 2006 the church was awarded grade 2 listed building status, as being of special architectural or historical interest, largely because of its original dual use.
In autumn 2011, after a four year long period of planning, fundraising, and prayer for the purpose, work began on an annexe, which was opened and dedicated on the weekend of 9th-10th June 2012. This is used by the children during services more suited to the adults, by children and adults alike for socialising after services with drinks, biscuits, and occasionally cake, for the Anchor Coffee Shop, and for a range of other purposes — including music exams for the ABRSM.
2023 – Repairs to the floor
After one and a half centuries of faithful feet tramping over it, the floor of St Augustine’s Church, Scaynes Hill, finally began to admit defeat. Investigations showed wood rot had set into some of the supporting joists and the floor was sagging quite significantly.
A long process finally resulted in an estimate of the cost of replacing the floor and a contractor was selected to complete the work.
There was some concern that such a large amount of money would take a very long time to raise but thanks to the extraordinary generosity of current and past members of the congregation; local friends and supporters of the church (including several local businesses, to whom we are very grateful!); energetic fund-raising activities at the church; and some charitable grants, the target was reached in a miraculously short space of time.
The work has now begun, under the expert care of DBR Ltd, and the congregation has relocated temporarily to St Augustine’s Primary School.
We hope the work will be completed by early October and we are looking forward to returning to worshipping in a church with a floor that doesn’t bounce quite so much when we walk on it
Many people have asked if any treasure – or bodies – have been discovered when the floor was lifted. Sadly, nothing so exciting…just two old bottles.
So many people have contributed to making this restoration of our lovely church possible, and many have already received letters of thanks from Rev. Beverley, but we would like to take this opportunity to thank:
- Scaynes Hill Petrol Station
- BSW Heating
- Garfield Weston
- Benefact Trust
- Sussex Historic Churches
- Gatwick Airport Community Trust
- Rank Foundation
All are very welcome to come and see the finished work from mid-October at one of our Sunday services or at a Thursday morning service. Additionally, you are very welcome to join us for coffee and cake at our Anchor Coffee Shop which will be held on Tuesdays from 10 am to 12 noon. Details of when the church will re-open and our services will be posted on our website: www.sash.org.uk.
The church will also be open to visitors every day from Mid-October from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (again details will be on the church website) – we look forward to seeing you soon.
Although the church is now more than a hundred and and fifty years old, it is well set to continue its purpose of being a place where God’s people can meet together and worship him.