Later History of the Church — since 1930
1930 to 1990
The next major changes to the church occurred after the second world war. In 1947 four new stained glass windows by Geoffrey Fuller Webb (1879-1954), with his spider–web “signature”, initials and the date in the bottom of the right window, were put into the chancel, commemorating the death in action in 1940 of Ronald Wilfrid Willett. In 1950 the Victorian altar and reredos were replaced by the present altar and the wooden panelling behind it, and new altar rails were put in, and in 1958 a vestry was added to the north side of church, making up with size for what it lacked in beauty. The vestry now also contains a kitchen.
|The centre two panels of the stained glass
commemorating R. W. Willett’s death in action
|Geoffrey Webb’s trademark|
The last additions to the church building in the twentieth century were two stained glass windows in the side aisle, the work of Rosalind Ilse Grimshaw in 2002. Placed there as a memorial to members of the Bartlett family they depict Julian of Norwich and Josephine Butler.
In 2006 the church was awarded grade 2 listed building status, as being of special architectural or historical interest, largely because of its original dual use. Five years after that, work began on an annexe, now completed, which is used by the children and for the Anchor Coffee Shop, amongst others. Although the church is now more than a hundred and and fifty years old, it is well placed to continue its purpose of being a place where God’s people can meet together and worship God.